30 Day Color Challenge Update

Standard

Here are a couple projects I have been working on for the 30 Day Color Challenge. My hope for this project was to use a variety of my different coloring media, so that’s what I’ve been trying to do.

This first card uses the well-loved Altenew stamp set Henna Elements:

 

30daycolor3

 

If you follow my work at all, you know I love bright colors paired with kraft cardstock. That is what I as going for here. I stamped the images and heat-embossed them. Then I was going to color them with these Neon colored pencils I picked up at Barnes & Noble:

 

30daycolor5

 

But when I went to color, it turned out these pencils are terrible. Just garbage. Cheap, waxy, poor color laydown, not vibrant. They don’t even provide good color or coverage on stark white paper. I think I am going to just throw them out. I wouldn’t even donate them to a preschool — they would just frustrate the kids and make them hate art, and we don’t want that. Luckily they only cost about 8 bucks. I went at them with my Dove Blender Pen, and that did not smooth them out or brighten them in the least. No good.

In the end I colored the images with my Prismacolors, which are fine, and bright enough, although not quite neon. (What can I say, I came up in the Eighties, I love neon.) So it didn’t quite turn out as I hoped, but it’s a pretty enough card I think. I do love Henna Elements, such a versatile stamp set. The sentiment is from Verve Stamps.

This next card was just some simple coloring with my Copics:

 

30daycolor4

 

This stamp set is called Happy Place, from Verve Stamps. I stamped them with Momento Tuxedo Black Ink, and kept the color scheme on each medallion (flower, whatever) monochromatic. And also cool colors. Personally, I much prefer cool colors, blues and greens, to warm ones.

When it was colored, I felt it needed something. You can’t really see it so well in the picture, but I colored some of the inner petals with my Sakura Stardust pen. After the picture was taken, i went back and added a rhinestone to the center of each medallion.

Once I finished coloring it in, I realized the medallions aren’t quite 100 percent even on the card — I left a little too much space on the top as opposed to the bottom. It looks a little unbalanced. I could try and balance that out, put a border on the top or a length of glitter ribbon. Or if I really get anal about it, I could cut the front panel off, trim it, and mount it on a new, properly centered card base. But no, I am just going to leave it. I’ve found over the years that trying to fix such minor mistakes usually just ends up making things worse. Most people aren’t going to notice such a small discrepancy anyway.

Both of the Verve stamp sets here are Never Before Used (NBUS).  So that always makes me feel good, to use something NBUS, which was the point of this whole blog after all. That was another objective I hoped to meet by following the 30 Day Color Challenge.

If you’d like to follow along the 30 Day Color Challenge, you can do so at Kathy Racoosin’s blog, The Daily Marker.  She has been posting a lot of giveaways throughout the challenge and some of them are still open, so hop on by.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s